Dr Taner Guvenir
Dr Guvenir is a Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist and works parttime in Lewes CAMHS Sussex Partnership NHS Trust since 2019.
He is also an adolescent psychoanalytic psychotherapist trained at the Tavistock Clinic in London and an International Trainer in 'Positive Parenting Program ('Triple P'). He was a UNICEF National Consultant in the project "Remodelling of Safeguarding Systems in Turkey' from 2008 till 2011.
During his academic career over 25 years, he was responsible for conducting and taking part in research projects, authoring numerous scientific papers, and teaching medical students and child psychiatry trainees.
He was responsible for assessment and psychiatric treatment of children, adolescents and families, leading service improvements and working as the medical director of a CAMHS inpatient unit which was one of the few foreign members of the Quality Network for Inpatient Units (QNIC), run by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Currently, in his consultant psychiatrist role as a member of multidisciplinary Tier 3 Generic CAMHS, he conducts and leads on assessments for ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder and other mental health conditions and provides psychiatric treatment of children, adolescents and families.
His special interests include:
- Youth mental health assessment and treatment models
- Therapeutic community implications in CAMHS
- School and institutional consultations
- Tavistock Model infant observation seminars
- Psychoanalytic psychotherapy training
He is the author of the books:
- "Bullying" (2005)
- "Adolescence" (2006)
- "Being Human - Tavistock Model Infant Observation Seminar Series" (2004) and
- "Learning From Experience – Wilfred Bion" (2016)
Hobbies and Interests
In his spare time, Dr Guvenir loves to keep active through swimming, but also loves to relax in front of a good film. He also really enjoys traveling the world and visiting new places.
Book An Appointment
- B. Arkan., B. Üstün and T. Güvenir. 'An analysis of two evidence-based parent training programmes and determination of the characteristics for a new programme model' Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, (ISI) 20, 176–185pp, 2013 Dr Taner Guvenir – Curriculum Vitae – April 2022 6
- O. B. Dursun, T. Guvenir, S. Aras, C. Ergin, C. Mutlu, H. Baydur, A. Ozbek, H. Ozek, S. Alsen, L. İscanli, B. I Karaman, R. Goodman 'A new diagnostic approach for Turkish speaking populations DAWBA Turkish Version' Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences (ISI) 21(03) 1-8 pp., 2012
- F. Varol Tas., T. Güvenir., A. Özbek. 'How long does the recovery last with inpatient treatment of child and adolescent?' Archives of Neuropsychiatry (ISI) 47(4), 319-323pp., 2010
- F. Varol Tas., T. Güvenir., E. Cevrim. 'Patients' and their parents' satisfaction levels about the treatment in a child and adolescent mental health inpatient unit , Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (ISI) 17(9), 769-774pp., 2010
- T. Güvenir., F. Varol Tas., A. Ozbek. 'Child and adolescent mental health inpatient services in Turkey; is there a need and are they effective?' Archives of Neuropsychiatry (ISI), 46(4), 143-148 pp., 2009
- F. Varol Tas., T. Güvenir. 'Amisulpride treatment of adolescent patients with schizophrenia end schizo-affective disorders', European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (ISI), 18 (8), 511-513 pp., 2009
- A. Özbek, A. Kumral, T. Güvenir, F. Varol Tas, Ö. Gencer. 'Maternal psychosocial aspects in hypernatremic dehydration with high sodium concentrations in breast milk: a case-control study', Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health (ISI), 44, 38-43 pp., 2008
- G. Leavey, T. Güvenir, S. Haase-Casanovas, S. Dien. 'Finding help; Turkish speaking refugees and migrants with a history of psychosis', Transcultural Psychiatry (ISI), 44 (2), 258-274 pp., 2007
- F. Varol Taş, T. Güvenir, G. Tas, B. Cakaloz, M. Ormen. 'Nitric oxide levels in disruptive behavioral disorder', Neuropsychobiology (ISI), 53, 176-180 pp., 2006
- G. Ünlü, Ş. Aras, T. Güvenir, B. Büyükgediz, Ö. Bekem. 'Family Functioning, Personality Disorders, and Depressive and Anxiety Symptoms in the Mothers of Children with Food Refusal' , Journal of Turkish Psychiatry (ISI), 17 (1), 1-10 pp., 2006
National Journals (In Turkish - selected)
- O. B. Dursun, T. Güvenir, A. Özbek. 'Epidemiologic Studies in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Review of Methodology', Current Approaches in Psychiatry 2(3) 401-416 pp., 2010
- O. B. Dursun, F. Varol Tas, T. Güvenir. 'Self-Bloodletting: An Unusual Form of Self-Mutilation in Adolescence', The Eurasian Journal of Medicine 42(2) 98-99 pp., 2010 B. Serim, F. Varol Tas, T. Güvenir. 'Self Harm Behavior in Adolescents', Journal of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, (1), 51-58 pp., 2009
- T. Güvenir, A. Özbek, B. Baykara, H. Arkar, B. Şentürk, S. İncekaş. 'Psychometric Properties of Turkish Version of Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ)', Journal of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 15(2), 65-74 pp., 2008
- M. Rustin, T. Güvenir, A. Özbek. 'The Importance of Infant Observation Seminars in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy Training', Journal of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 15(2), 99-108 pp., 2008
- T. Güvenir, F. Varol Taş. 'The Inpatient Treatment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry', Journal of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 15 (1), 37-46 pp., 2008
- F. Varol Tas, T. Güvenir, S. Miral. 'Psychopharmacological Treatment in a Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Inpatient Unit', Journal of Child and Adolescent Mental Health 14(3), 139-150 pp., 2007
- T. Güvenir, D. Gökengin, S. Miral. 'A Crises Intervention in terms of a School Consultation to a Stigmatized and Bullied HIV(+) Child', Journal of Dokuz Eylul University Medical Faculty, 18(3), 251-255 pp., 2005
- Güvenir T. 'British Psychoanalytic School – Psychoanalytic Theory from Freud onwards', Journal of 3P, 10(3), 15-19 pp., 2002
Book An Appointment
Assessment and treatment of Children & Adolescents up to the age of 18yrs