Dr Guvenir is a Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist and works parttime in Lewes CAMHS Sussex Partnership NHS Trust since 2019. He is also an adolescent psychoanalytic psychotherapist trained at the Tavistock Clinic in London and an International Trainer in 'Positive Parenting Program ('Triple P'). He was a UNICEF National Consultant in the project "Remodelling of Safeguarding Systems in Turkey' from 2008 till 2011.
During his academic career over 25 years, he was responsible for conducting and taking part in research projects, authoring numerous scientific papers, and teaching medical students and child psychiatry trainees.
He was responsible for assessment and psychiatric treatment of children, adolescents and families, leading service improvements and working as the medical director of a CAMHS inpatient unit which was one of the few foreign members of the Quality Network for Inpatient Units (QNIC), run by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
Currently, in his consultant psychiatrist role as a member of multidisciplinary Tier 3 Generic CAMHS, he conducts and leads on assessments for ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder and other mental health conditions and provides psychiatric treatment of children, adolescents and families.
His special interests include:
- Youth mental health assessment and treatment models
- Therapeutic community implications in CAMHS
- School and institutional consultations
- Tavistock Model infant observation seminars
- Psychoanalytic psychotherapy training
He is the author of the books:
- "Bullying" (2005)
- "Adolescence" (2006)
- "Being Human - Tavistock Model Infant Observation Seminar Series" (2004) and
- "Learning From Experience – Wilfred Bion" (2016)